The St. Elmo Historic District, or St. Elmo for short, is a neighborhood in the city ofChattanooga, Tennessee. It is situated in the southernmost part of Hamilton County within thevalley of Lookout Mountain below the part of the Tennessee River known as Moccasin Bend. StElmo is at the crossroads of two ancient Indian trails, and was first occupied by Native Americanhunters and gatherers in the Woodland period, then agricultural Mississippians, includingEuchee and Muscogee, and for a brief period between 1776 and 1786, the Cherokees in acommunity called Lookout Town. St. Elmo became part of the city of Chattanooga when it wasannexed in September 1929. Hundreds of properties in the neighborhood were listed on theNational Register in 1982, and in 1996 St. Elmo was designated a
Listing courtesy of Berkshire Hathaway Homeservices J Douglas Properties.